Savonlinna

Savonlinna

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Welcome back winter!



You thought winter was over?? Psych. It came back with a vengeance today with over a foot of snow. Last Friday we were enjoying this:

And then today we found this (At the same time of day!): 



It's really ok. I like snow. But the nurses all told me that the reason it snowed was because it's market day. It only happens twice a year, and only for two days. And every year, it snows. I was thinking, of course Finland is the only place where a market is so dedicated that it would stay open in spite of inches of snow!!



There were breads, sweets, sausages, food, toys, handmade wooden carvings, wool knit socks and scarves, clothes, ect. People from all around the area travel here for these two days. I didn't buy anything, but I was so happy to find out when I got home that Leena had already bought some of the sweet breads :) Yum. I'm going back tomorrow...maybe I'll buy something!

On another note, last week was the last week of our Finnish lessons. This week we decided to get together and celebrate not having class anymore. I was grateful for this class because it has helped me meet many other exchange students here studying different things. Also, I have never been part of a more international group, and it was both fun and exciting. German, Austrian, Chinese, Hungarian, French, English... My favorite moment of the night was when we were talking about how animal sounds are said in different languages. Everybody cracked up when I said that a rooster goes "cock-a-doodle-doo."Meeting so many friends from around the world has been a great experience, learning about other countries, cultures, mannerisms. I was amazed tonight that there were 12 of us, from around the world brought together by this experience in Finland, speaking English to each other, but at times breaking into these other languages. 


No matter the political conflicts or differences of opinion, people are people and by human nature we bond and create friendships regardless of backgrounds, culture, language, or country!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha cocka-doodle-doo, I can see why that would seem weird to everyone else! And that looks like a fun group : )

    ReplyDelete