Savonlinna

Savonlinna

Friday, March 28, 2014

Playing around

Well, I just finished my clinical hours at the health center. I was suppposed to go in this evening (uhh...my last Friday evening in Savonlinna). I had a meeting with my clinical instructor though to go to beforehand, and the first thing she said to me right when I walked in was,

Her: "I've been looking at your schedule."
Me: "Yeah I wanted to talk to you about that."
Her: "You don't have to go today."
Me: "...uh."
Her: "Really."
Me: "Thanks!!!!" Big Smile on my face

I didn't want to spend my last weekend at the Health Center ward, and it was a beautiful day!


No, my days at the Health Center ward were actually pretty good. It was a rehab unit, and it gave me a good picture of what nurses do here in Finland.



There are lots of similarities but also lots of big differences. Like I've already mentioned, there aren't any CNAs so the nurses not only give medications, do wound care, ect, they also do all vital signs, bathing, turning, lifting, ect. So these nurses have 8-10 patients during the day, but can have about 20 at night. The nurses also don't do physical assessments. In the United States, nurses carry and use stethoscopes very, very often. It is a critical and expected part of our work skills to assess a patient's condition very quickly. I was surprised that Finnish nurses don't do this.



The Day Room
The nurse preceptor I had these two weeks was absolutely fabulous! I loved being around her and we had a great time. Even though I wasn't able to communicate in Finnish, she did a great job translating rounds, nursing report, and conversations in general to me.

We also never could pose for a serious picture....
 Unfortunately, this was the first time I really got that in my entire time here. So I feel like I learned a lot more from that. She also let me do things right away, which I appreciated. Like, "do you want to give this shot?" Or on my first day, "Ok, you change this (very big, very bad) wound." No problem. She also was just so much fun to be around. I think that nightshift bonding really helped, but we laughed and had so many great times comparing nursing and cultural differences between Finland, US, and Germany (where she was born.)

Just having a fun time!


The "serious" picture! We cracked up right after this was taken
The work at this ward was very difficult, and I think that it would be hard for me to want to do it long term. It's physically demanding on your body, lots of lifting and moving patients who may not have or be able to use limbs. It also takes a lot of mental strength to take care of that many patients on your own.
Part of the day room
Rehab room
We saw patients with everything from dementia, to strokes, joint replacements, heart failure, amputations, and infections. Some patients had IVs, but not all. Some also had catheters.



There was a doctor on hand during the days. Apparently, there used to be one always there, but they've had to make money cuts somewhere, and that was one way to do it. Also, there is a shortage of doctors around here, too. Because of those two things, they are closing wards at health centers and hospitals. For example, the labor and delivery unit at the hospital here is closing, and people will have to travel to Kuopio (100km away) in order to have their baby! I think that is so far away.

The health center ward is part of the same hospital/healthcare system. After they are discharged from the hospital, if they need more rehab they come here. Afterwards, they might go to a nursing home or assisted living. People might stay anywhere from 2 weeks to a few months, but no longer. It's not intended to be a long term care facility.

And for all my nursing friends out there, I know you're interested in their different medicines and IV equipment :) haha, maybe not.


Med Room



SO much easier to use...
Ok, so it wasn't the location that I really wanted to be at for clinical. Let's be honest, I wanted to be at the hospital. But it turned out ok. I had a great time with the nurses there, the patients were very kind and patient with my lack of Finnish. One sweet old man knew no English except for "Good Morning, Darling." THAT was funny :) and sweet. Another lady laid her head on my shoulder when I was sitting next to her on the bed, and another lady whose legs had to be amputated was always so so happy to see us enter the room, and gave such big smiles, it made ME happy. I found that these elderly patients were very sweet and accepting of me!

And clearly I have no self-preservation....
Racing down the hall
Oh look!

In spite of the awful white uniforms, I learned a lot and enjoyed overall my time at the Health Center Ward 1!



No comments:

Post a Comment