Savonlinna

Savonlinna

Monday, February 17, 2014

Wrapping up Public Health

In my last week of Public Health Rotations here, I spent my time at the Pediatric Clinic at the Savonlinna Health Center. I have explained that all preventative services are provided at these clinics. It's one big building that has many separate offices.

The Pediatric Clinic takes care of babies from the time they are born until they are 6 years old, getting ready to start pre-school. (Here their kindergarten is what we call pre-school and vice versa). Here is the break down of visists, if you are interested

2-3 weeks old
6 weeks (doctor)
2 months
4 months (doctor)
6 months
8 months (doctor)
10 months
12 months
1.5 years (doctor)
2 years
3 years
4 years (see the doctor and public health nurse)
5 years
6 years

This week I helped the nurse during these appointments. Mostly it was checking development, like rolling over, hearing, losing baby reflexes, ect. It is difficult when the parents feel uncomfortable speaking English, so then I end up spending the hour not understanding...sometimes it took all my concentration to stay awake!! But the nurse again was so wonderful and very passionate about her work. She told me at the end that before I came she was very nervous to have an international student, because she wasn't sure what I'd be like and she thought she would struggle with English. It's very humbling to be told something like that, and then hear that she really enjoyed her week, couldn't have asked for a better student (yay!), and to come back and visit her!



Another thing I was interested in is the differences in vaccination recommendations. In the US the routine is to give Hep B at birth before leaving the hospital, unless parents decide not to have it. They only give it here if there is a high risk factor for the baby getting the disease. They also don't immunize against Chicken Pox at all. The government pays for all the childhood vaccinations and decided that the HPV vaccine was more of a priority than the Chicken Pox. Of course if the parents want it they can pay to have it. They also have to pay to get Hep A/B. So that's one big downside of this kind of healthcare. The government has to prioritize the importance of immunizations. But I have noticed that there is excellent continuity in healthcare. They have good interdisciplinary teams and the pediatric nurse works closely with the school nurse so as the child transitions in life, there is an easy transition to those changes in healthcare. They don't have to fill out so many forms every time they go somewhere. It is all in the system :)

The pediatric clinic was probably my favorite place to be. There is no language barrier with babies and children. :) I loved making faces and playing with them in my broken Finnish. I did notice that in cultural and language boundaries one of the most important things is nonverbal communication: how you sit, how you pay attention to how they are speaking, your facial expressions, ect. I made a point to introduce myself and greet in Finnish. I could understand the nurse introducing me, so I was able to talk to them at that point a little in Finnish and English. I noticed that playing with their kids and seeming at the same time like I was listening is what warmed the parents up to me and to speaking English to me. They were able to see that I was interested in them and their child's healthcare, and because I had to make the extra effort to go out of my way to talk to them and interact with them, they were very willing to let me be an active part of the appointment. I really appreciated that! I know that sometimes I can be an introvert and it would have been easy just to sit there the whole time. But nursing school has put me in very uncomfortable situations before where I have had to be an active voice and make myself a participant. That has served me well and prepared me for being here. I had to make an extra effort here to learn and participate, and in a way that makes me feel like it is that much harder and probably that much more rewarding for me, too.

So all in all my three weeks of public health nursing have been very eye-opening. I've learned that people like their healthcare here (they hate the huge taxes and cost of it), but enjoy the benefits and services that they see as the government taking care of them. I've met really fantastic nurses who have a passion for teaching and sharing their knowledge. I've improved my Finnish :) This week is a wrapup final group presentation and exam at the university. Then I'm off to my Winter Ski Holiday!

We were good buddies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment