Savonlinna

Savonlinna

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Skates and Frozen Lakes

This weekend I had my first outdoor sports in Finland. It was so exciting! 

Savonlinna is almost completely surrounded by lakes, and this time of year, they are finally frozen over enough to ski and ice skate. I've had my fair share of ice skating, but it's never been on a lake! So Leena and I packed up the two kiddos along with a neighbor friend to enjoy some time in the Finnish sunshine.

The original plan was to skate the 2km to the other side, have some warm pancakes and then skate back. We probably only made it 1km with the kiddos :) 

Now, even though I lived in Utah for the past five years, close to the "Best snow on Earth", I have never been skiing. Cross-country or downhill. It's really a shame...and a little embarassing. That's ok, though, because I'm definitely getting that experience here!

I started off trying the cross-country skiing. Let me tell you, I definitiely underestimated how hard it is! I only did it for about 5 minutes before I awkwardly fell down. I know I looked like a foreigner for sure because the kids here learn how to ski in elementary school. Good thing there are no picture of those few minutes. But Pekka here was patient, and even though he speaks no English and I speak little Finnish, he was very helpful :)

I haven't given up on skiing! But ice skating is more up my alley. 

The weather was really nice, and skating on the frozen lakes through the beautiful woods of Finland was such a cool experience! I mean, just look at it!


Even though we didn't make it all the way we wanted to, we had a great time together with friends and family. I will definitely make the trip over to this place again sometime soon

I love my Finnish mother :)


No comments:

Post a Comment